You are currently browsing the Beder Law Office blog archives for June, 2010.


The Beder Law Firm offers legal services to both individuals and business that need legal expertise in conducting business and other legal matters in Turkey.

Real property, civil litigation, criminal defense, human rights inheritance matters are just a few of the many areas of expertise that are part of the Beder Law Firm’s offerings.

Archive for June, 2010

How can we organize a protest meeting in Turkey?

Thursday, June 17, 2010 @ 10:06 AM
Author: admin

According to the Meeting and Protest Act (Reference Number 2911) Article 3, “anyone can organize a demonstration and protest meeting for the purposes which the law does not count as an offence”. However the second paragraph added to the act on 03/08/2002 and it states that “foreigners can organize a demonstration and protest meeting with Home Office’s permission, also foreigners can carry pictures ,bandanas and any other demonstration means in demonstration on condition that the local governor should be notified written 48 hours before the event.

Expressing your thoughts is not an offence; please remember the freedom of speech; however we should follow the rules. As a foreigner, you can organize a protest meeting or demonstration as long as you follow the rules, and get necessary permissions from the Home Office.

There will be a regulatory board consisting of 7 people. One of them should be a chairman. They need to prepare a written notification for the local governor stating the purpose and place and time of the demonstration. This notification should be given 48 hours before the demonstration with the additional documents such as criminal records of the people who is in the regulatory board.



Friday, June 11, 2010 @ 05:06 PM
Author: admin

If would like to work in Turkey either you need to be a Turkish Citizen or you need to have a work permit. Working without a work permit is an unlawful act and the worst result is deportation. Also you and the company you work for will be fined.

If you are on a Tourist visa in Turkey you should not work at all, because in that case you will be deported from Turkey and a year restriction will be placed on your visa. That means you cannot enter this country for a year. This duration can be extended if you do not pay the fine which will be issued after the deportation.

If you have a residency and if you get caught while you are working without a work permit, you will not deported strait away. You will be fined but you are not going to deported but you may have problems for getting a new residency therefore please get a work permit if you would like to work in Turkey.


Road Tax is kind of council tax. The Municipality gets this tax from the owners of the properties in the area the new road is build. That is why it is called “Road Tax”. It is one off. You do not have to pay it again.

When you pay it straight away the council gives you some discount. There is an option that you can pay it in installments if you like. If you do not pay it this year, you can leave now and you can pay it when you have some money.

They would not come to your house with Bailiff to ask that money, only if you want to sell your property you need to get a document from Council and they do not give you that document before you pay all the outstanding bills.

Council tax is the same, if you do not have money this year, leave it to next near. There will be small interest on it but nothing more. And nobody will ring your doorbell asking for the council tax. However as I stated above, if you would like to sell the property you will have to pay all outstanding bills to the Council.


FAQ: What if you involved in a crime in Turkey?

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 @ 04:06 PM
Author: admin

What if you involved in a crime in Turkey?

If you commit a crime in Turkey, the Turkish Criminal Law applies and nobody will care if you do not know the law. Therefore, before giving your statement please get a lawyer who will understand your situation and guide you through it. The fist statement you give in Police Station is very important; if you do not get the legal help you may have trouble in the court. You have the right to remain silent, ask one of your families to be notified, ask a lawyer etc. If you know your rights you will be in better position.

The Police investigation takes some time then the Public Prosecutor will prepare an Indictment. The Indictment will show what offence you will be charged with and what the evidence is.

You need to be aware of deportation issues too after you have been found guilty of some offences.

We offer legal help starting with Police Station to the end of court case. We are going to structure your case and help you trough it.